The best wines of the year have already been chosen, a revelation that took place on the 6th of May, in Santarém, at the Awards Ceremony of the 9th edition of the Wines of Portugal Competition, an initiative organized by ViniPortugal. Among the more than 1,450 wines submitted, the jury chose 442 winners, among which 36 medals are in the Grand Gold category, 107 in Gold and 291 in Silver.
With a demanding assessment carried out by 109 national and international experts, who tasted the candidate wines in technical sessions over three days and, later, by the Grand Jury in two-day meetings, the most awarded region of this 9th edition was the Douro, which won 14 medals, followed by the Alentejo and Tejo regions, with 7 and 4 medals, respectively. It is also worth mentioning the Best of the Year, which distinguish the best among the Great Gold, namely:
- The best of the year – Casa de Santar Vinha dos Amores Encruzado, 2017, Global Wines
- The best lincorous of the year - Bacalhôa Moscatel de Setúbal Superior 20 Anos, 2000, Bacalhôa Vinhos de Portugal
The Best of the Year Red Varietal - Quinta da Fonte Souto Alfrocheiro, 2019, Quinta da Fonte do Souto
- The Best of the Year White Varietal - Casa de Santar Vinha dos Amores Encruzado, 2017 Global Wines
- The best red wine of the year (Blend) - Falcoaria Grande Reserva, 2018, Casal Branco
- The best white wine of the year (Blend) - Falcoaria Colheita Tardia, 2016 Casal Branco
- The best white wine of the year (Blend) - QUINTA DA REDE VINHA DO PINHEIRO, 2018, Quinta da Rede
- The best sparkling wine of the year - MARQUÊS DE MARIALVA Cuvée Primitivo Brut Nature, 2014, Adega Coop de Cantanhede
The wines distinguished with the Grande Ouro and Ouro medals in the Wines of Portugal Competition will have a guaranteed presence in international events of excellence to be held later this year, proof of how the Wines of Portugal Competition represents a form of international promotion for Portuguese producers.